Pages

Monday, December 16, 2013

Deland

Saturday started out overcast and warm.  The sun did come out for a bit but the temperature only reached the mid-70's.  Perfect for wandering the main street in DeLand.  The four of us piled into the truck just before 1000 and headed south on US 17 passing through Crescent City.

We found a place to park in one of the public parking spots.  There is a three hour limit but we don't think it's enforced. 



Stetson University is located here and I wonder if this was a student special?


Some of the buildings are interesting, the opera house has apartments on top


DeLand is a very pretty city and well worth a visit.  I know we'll go back

 After wandering up one side and down the other, stopping in a few shops along the way we finally decided on lunch at the Mainstreet Grill.  Very nice menu and you can dine outside on the patio with the walls of water cascading in the background.

Jim decided on sauteed mushrooms and a Cobb salad while I had grilled mahi-mahi with black beans and yellow rice, we both had a draft beer.

Kathy ordered a turkey Ruben and John had a cheeseburger after ordering two cinnamon rolls!  The rolls were small and he did share them  :-)  They had tea or water to drink.


After we waddled our way back to the car we drove around the campus for a bit just looking at all the buildings.  We didn't see any students so we figured they were on Christmas break.  

On the way home a gentle rain began to fall and by 1800 it was a full blown thunderstorm!  We even lost power, but it came back after a few minutes.  Direct TV was out for about 15-20 minutes.

The rain continued all through the evening and as far as I know, all night.  I heard it several times during the night with gentle rain at times and a wee bit more other times.  The deck was so wet that it didn't dry out all day.  

Monday Jim had to work and I did a load of laundry.  Had to change the sheets and didn't have any clean!  Sure will be glad when my wash machine is fixed.  I really don't like schlepping my laundry, I guess I'm spoiled....

The day was a bit overcast but not to bad temperature wise.  I took Boo for a walk after lunch and Kathy joined me.  As the day wore on it did get cooler and by nightfall it was already in the lower 60's.  By 2200 it was in the 50's and we slept quite well under the duvet.

Today Jim is working and it's much colder.  Beautiful, sunny skies but the temperature is only 55 at 1400.  No wind so it's tolerable!

Tonight we're going to the work camper dinner so I don't have to fix dinner.  It's nice to be included but I didn't work a lick this year.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by...love to hear what you have to say!