Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

First it's Hot, then it's Cold

I love south Texas! The weather is always changing. Just when you get used to wearing shorts it gets cold (relatively speaking) and we have to wear long pants and shoes! A couple days of cool weather then the heat comes back......I will state that I like cold temperatures for sleeping. Our comforter is cozy and warm.

We've been alternating between leftovers from Thanksgiving and other choice meals. Today we had turkey, dressing and gravy but I fixed Roasted Brussels Sprouts from the Moosewood Restaurant Cooking for Health cookbook. It was a hit and I include the recipe here in case you like sprouts

1 lb Brussels sprouts
1 1/2 T olive oil
1/4 t salt

Clean and cut sprouts in half toss in oil and place on lightly oiled pan cut side down. Place in preheated 375 degree oven 12 - 18 minutes or until tender and lightly browned.

while cooking make the dressing

2 T minced red onion or shallots
1 t Dijon mustard
1 T lemon juice
1 1/2 T olive oil

stir into the sprouts and toss with 1/2 cup toasted walnuts or pecans. I used walnuts and it tasted just great! you can also use salt and pepper to taste.

Last night was very windy and it kept waking me up so I expect to sleep better tonight. The front is here and it's getting cooler.

Jim had a kayaking trip today but cancelled it due to the wind. Not good taking novices out on the Rio Grande River with a lot of wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by...love to hear what you have to say!