Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Real Goods Store, Hopland, California

Tuesday afternoon after spending the morning doing household chores we headed back south to check out the town of Hopland California. As we drove through we noted it might be a fun place to explore. So after lunch we headed out and on the way we stopped at a few wineries to do tastings. Not sure it was us or the wine but both Jim and I thought the one's we tasted were 'bland'. No matter, it's always fun to taste!

Once we arrived in Hopland our first stop was a 'solar' store that Scotty wanted to check out. Little did we know it was the home store of Real Goods! From the web site:

"The World's Greatest Environmental Store At the heart of the beautiful 12-acre Solar Living Center in Hopland, California, is what we like to call The Greenest Store on Earth — our flagship Real Goods store. As we enter our 33rd year of business, this amazing store turns 13. In addition to many of the great products you find on this site, our store features a full service tech desk; expanded toy, kitchen and natural body care sections; a great organic clothing department; and a collection of snacks and wares from local purveyors. "

We had fun exploring the grounds and the store. I used to get a catalog from them and I they are now part of Gaiam. Not sure how long we were there but it was well worth the visit.

We wandered back to town and stopped in at the Hopland Brewery for a cold ale.
http://www.mendobrew.com/raptors/brewpub.html. This was the first brewery to open in California after Prohibition. Anne had a root beer float while the rest of us had some cold beer to slake our thirst!

After that we decided to walk around town but as it was getting late we didn't explore much and headed home. Boo was glad to see us because it was past his dinner time!

Yesterday was a day of chores and shopping. Anne and I went to Michael's and Safeway. Jim cleaned the truck and got the bugs off the front of the rig. During the afternoon I spent some time crocheting and made this Diamond shaped dish cloth.

Neat pattern and I may have to make more so I can use up my cotton yarn.

Today I was up at 0530 after tossing and turning waiting for it to get light outside. I could smell a skunk so I got up to see if I could catch a glimpse of him. But I guess he didn't want to stick around as I couldn't see him anywhere.

Once we're all packed up we'll be heading north today. Klamath is our destination and along the way we should pass through some Redwood forests.

"I never saw a discontented tree. They grip the ground as though they liked it, and though fast rooted they travel about as far as we do. They go wandering forth in all directions with every wind, going and coming like ourselves, traveling with us around the sun two million miles a day, and through space heaven knows how fast and far! ~ John Muir"

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by...love to hear what you have to say!