Pages

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Pikes Peak

Today we drove to the top of Pikes Peak. Actually Jim drove and the rest of us went along for the ride. Marilyn and Ed Dray went with us. We decided yesterday to pack a picnic lunch and once we loaded up the truck we were on the road by 0930, maybe a wee bit earlier.

Once we passed Manitou Springs we started taking pictures. With all the clicking going on I was reminded of Teresa.... :)

I did not post all the pictures we took! I hope you enjoy these


Our destination is in the center of this picture. Pikes Peak is one of Colorado's 14's.



Crystal Lake reservoir

Big Foot!




We stopped at the halfway point picnic area and had our lunch. Chicken salad sandwiches, chips, grapes, wine, olive salad, melted chocolates :)


Marilyn taking a picture of me!

Marilyn without a camera in her face


Ed on the left with Marilyn and Jim on the right






That's snow! I think we saw more snow last year....

We climbed all over this, the views on the other side are wonderful


Jim hiding in the rocks


Jim wending his way up and over! I was right behind him and Marilyn and Ed followed us.


flowers I found in a niche


Jim, the love of my life.



One of the many switchbacks!


Our friends Ed and Marilyn


Above the tree line....


Cog rail cars going down, we did this last year.




Kathleen Lee Bates was inspired to write America the Beautiful after she saw the beautiful vistas at the top of Pikes Peak. This is a monument to that.






And here we are at the top!
Many of the pictures have no captions, my words would not be adequate. The beauty speaks for itself.
We enjoyed the drive down just as much as the drive up but we took fewer pictures. We stopped in Old Colorado city and had a nice meal the the Mason Jar.
I think we got home just before 1600 and once we unloaded the truck and changed clothes the guys were playing golf! I downloaded all the pictures into my computer then I uploaded around 80 of them to Facebook.
I've showered and now I'm giving thought to having a bite to eat....It was a wonderful day spent with our friends and the beautiful scenery of this area. Life is good!




























No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by...love to hear what you have to say!