Pages

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Last Visit to the Beach

Even though there was rain forecast, we wanted to go to the beach one last time. After a lazy start to the day we headed out around 1000. Our first stop was Folbot, www.folbot.com We have the Greenland II. Charleston is where they make these folding kayaks. The GPS took us right to the store. Wanda greeted us with a smile and was friendly and helpful with our questions. Even though most of the workers were vacationing or otherwise absent she showed us around the buildings where the kayaks are assembled. They make them as the orders come in and I'm sure the place is humming when they're filling orders.

Then it was off to the beach! On the drive we stopped at a Subway and picked up sandwiches and chips for our lunch at the beach. When you get to the Island you go left or right. We went right and ended up at the State Park, http://www.follybeach.com/picnic.php. There is a $7 charge to enter so we paid up and headed to a parking lot. We grabbed our food and sat at the pavilion overlooking the beach to eat our lunch. Jim and I faced the beach and we could see dolphins out in the shallows. The sun was out and it was a beautiful sight to see!

The following pictures are mostly taken by me.


Bird tracks in the sand, phone camera
Anne took this shot of me feeding the gulls. Twice they took bread from my fingertips!

Jim enjoying the view and wading in the surf



Anne looking glamorous!
By this time the guys had wandered down the beach quite a way and Anne and I looked for shells and just enjoyed the afternoon. The thunderstorms that rolled through during the night left some seaweed on the beach and I guess you had to be there to see the bright colors.


This is two toned seaweed, quite thick, about the size of a pencil




This one is bright yellow





Coral colored


We finally met up with the guys coming back from their walk and we discovered a horseshoe crab buried in the sand. As you can see it's a good sized one and even had some barnacles on his shell, that's the white stuff by Jim's right thumb











Here he is swimming away.
As we strolled back to the car we started finding sand dollars. Four almost perfect ones. Two for Anne and two for me. They're in a bleach solution right now or I'd have a picture for you.
We forgot all about seeing the lighthouse on the other end of the island! Oh well, I guess we'll have to come back to see it...
Once home I had a cup of coffee then started on our dinner. I made Spanish rice then stuffed some bell peppers and steamed them. Reheated some ribs and Anne made some corn muffins. Tasty!
After the dishes were done I took a shower. Dancing with the Stars was coming on and I was all set to watch the semi-finals. Methinks Ty will be going home tonight! We also watched Castle and I sure don't like how the show ended!








No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by...love to hear what you have to say!